Monday 4 August 2014

2 years - August 5, 2012 - August 5, 2014 - Japanniversary

Today marks the two year anniversary of my arrival in Japan. It's crazy how time flies. I remember feeling like I made the wrong choice when I said good bye and got on the plane to Tokyo. Those thoughts are long gone, but new questions and fears have replaced them, mainly concerning the next step. I'm not sure what's next. I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I do know that my Japanese must improve though. This summer I will study study study. Maybe I'll be able to string a sensible sentence together soon. Next Japanesey thing to try is Kyudo, or Japanese archery. After trying it and hitting 3 of 4 arrows on target, the teacher encouraged me to join. Soon I will hopefully learn a new skill.

Japan has changed me and made me grow in so many ways. I've had a lot of new experiences, some good and some not, but all educational.

I've had run-ins with all manner of bugs and animals. Off the top of my head, giant moths, horrifying bright orange-striped wasps with powerful stings, praying mantises (?), cockroaches, tanuki, deer, ducks, various waterfowl, a burgeoning stray cat problem, too many daschunds, corgis, and chihuahuas to count, large spiders, hopping spiders, bunnies on leashes, cats in strollers, jelly fish, flying fish, raw fish, raw chicken, raw whale, raw horse, raw beef, and other raw things, and of course cicadas!

I've climbed many mountains including the beast that is Mt. Fuji. And for sure, my future involves many more mountains. I've fallen in love with nature here in Japan. I enjoyed, loved, and bragged about Canada's nature, but it seems more precious in Japan because the concrete, the trains, the noise, the light and the crowds get to you. 

I've had surgery and turned into a major hypochondriac! Japan gifted me with a week long hospital stay complete with surgical battle scars. This is a unique experience not too many temporary residents get to have. It was character building. I'd much rather have surgery in English, though. Since everything is strange and I'm alone here, every little thing worries me. I should learn to trust that my body is healthy and very sturdy, so I don't really have to worry so much. But every ache, fever and stomach ache still stresses me out. I think it's more worrying about how to explain it in Japanese to the doctor. Haha. 

I got hit by a car and survived! This is not unique. Drivers here in Japan are terrible and the roads are narrow with tonnes of blind corners and intersections. Bike and pedestrian collisions with cars are a very common occurrence here. Less common, is the hit and run. While I survived my inevitable meeting with the front end of a car, it still plagues me to this day, almost one year later. It was also the cause of my second MRI in Japan. It's the reason I go to a hospital weekly, even though I'm perfectly healthy. At least my Japanese has improved greatly because of this... Or at least my listening comprehension has.

In the past two years I've become a surfer! And I live in a land locked prefecture! Ha! I loved surfing before Japan, but here I have the opportunity to go surfing way more often than I would be able to in Canada, and I've been able to improve. I love surfing. I love my board. I love the feeling of catching a wave. I love falling off my board. I love the soothing movement of the waves. I love the mountains, but I'm still a water baby at the core.

I've reconnected with soccer and I've been introduced to futsal here. I love playing futsal. I love playing soccer. I've been able to continue dancing as well. Through both activities I've met great people! 

I've collected so many cards. Seriously. Everyone and their dog has a card. First, there are name cards or business cards, which you receive at first meetings with people. Second, there are membership cards for things like the gym, the pool, the futsal court. Third, my necessary cards: foreign residency card, health insurance card, bank cards, credit cards, etc. Fourth, my hospital cards. Each clinic or hospital you visit gives you a card. You must use it whenever you go to that clinic or hospital. I've got quite a collection. And fifth, point cards. Oh my goodness! Grocery stores, clothing stores, malls, restaurants, coffee shops, massage places, movie theaters... Everyone has a point card or loyalty card. It's nuts. I thought I had a lot of cards in Canada, but it doesn't come close to what I've accumulated here...

Thankfully and finally as well, I collected another degree. It only took 4.5 years, 3 or 4 leaves of absence, 130-something pages of rambling and countless hours of torture, guilt, and depression. I'm a Master of Science now. Not any better for it though.

I've had some run-ins with the cops. Don't worry, nothing too serious ;p I've had some run-ins with yakuza. The former not being related to the latter, of course. Really though, what Japan experience is complete without stories of cops and gangsters? 

It's been a wild two years full of new experiences, new people and lots of cards. Happy 2nd anniversary to us, Japan!

上園 💝 日本


No comments:

Post a Comment